Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Critic of Myself

I'm an observer.
I watch.
I calculate.
I weigh.
I ponder.
I critic.
I criticize.

Criticize. This seems to be an ongoing theme with me. Why do I criticize? What does it matter what other people do, or how they do it, or why they do it? 

To criticize is not always negative. I will critic how I originally made a recipe, and change it.

Sometimes I like to figure out why people do things. Sometimes I'm curious if I can do the same. Sometimes I'm just plain judgmental

I live in a highly agriculturally rich area. Not one family business is structured the same. Some wives work in town, some work right along side their husband, others help out when needed (like me) but are involved in other aspects of the family business. Some husbands work in town, in some families both parents work in town, some families don't have children, some have a more than others, some mom's stay home. 

All these families function. All these families work - for that particular family

Sometimes I hear criticism from others about how another family functions. Sometimes I do it myself. 

Why does it matter? 
What of it?

Is how another family works, whether they're similar to mine or not, really something I need to even worry about?

I think not. 

My energy (and I'm talking about me specifically, this might not apply to you but you still might consider what I say :)) needs to be put into tenderly nurturing my children. How can I nurture my kids when I criticize others? 

My energy needs to be put into aiding my husband. Whether that be welcoming him with a homemade warm apple pie on a really tough day, keeping his sock drawer stocked with fresh clean ones, lending a hand in putting in a new fence, holding my tongue when we're late (and I hate being late, but I'm getting better about stressing over it).

My energy needs to be put into being an example to my children of what a Christian looks like in word, thought and deed. How can I do that when I openly criticize what someone else does, or what my husband does that I don't particularly care for at the moment?


I need to be living in such a way that if other people are observing me, what they have to criticize will be nothing that I would be ashamed of or that would dishonor my Lord.

What a load to bear. I better prepare another one for the wash.

1 comment: