Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fall Cow Working

Every September we have what is known as "Fall Cow Working" or "Preconditioning." The herd is rounded up and all the spring calves are given shots that help them fight possible illnesses during the winter. We usually sell calves six weeks later, when the new buyers will then give them a booster shot. 

We also weigh the calves. Marty likes to have a record of how productive the mothers have been in raising their young. This year, with the drought, some people have had a tough time. There isn't as much grass to go around and there are a lot of ranches in South Dakota struggling. Our calves, however, have had some of the best weights we've seen. Especially considering this years weather conditions.

A few years ago when we experienced drought, Marty had told me that the dry grass is actually better for the cows/calves than the greener grass. The nutrients are more condensed/concentrated and the cattle tend to do better on dry than wet grass. The only problem is that a rancher needs more of it. This year we were able to lease some more land, which helped a lot, and Marty's really good at proper land management. This helps insure good grazing seasons by rotating pastures during certain times of the year. 

With that said, I thought I would share just a few pictures I'd taken of the day. I didn't do a whole lot this year as I've been feeling pretty sore. My busy day is always the one before when I prepare food for the crew.

My sister and brother-in-law and their two oldest girls helping to round up one of the herds.


Marty and our son, on the horse in the middle.

So thankful for this crew. They worked so hard all day long.
 I thought I would play around with some food photography, while I was waiting for the crew to come in for dinner. 

Deviled Eggs are generally a staple when I cook for a day of working cows.

Fresh fruit is, too.

Marty requested burgers and what good are they plain without the fixings?


I made them "Marty style". Thick and huge. They were over a pound each! Several of the guys had two! I could barely eat one...

What meal is complete without dessert? I usually make pie, but my sister-in-law's birthday was a few weeks prior and I'd been meaning to make her an angel food cake. Yum!

Also made Spiced Plum Tart. This was a new one. I think I'll add it to my repertoire.


  Would you like to join us next year? We'd sure love to have ya! :)

1 comment:

  1. Good job on being a rancher's wife....and a rancher! And a mom....we are excited about the expected addition. Oh, and good job on the cooking part. Your pictures make my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete