Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Parents Ruined My Teenage Years and Now I'm Reaping the Benefits

My parents ruined my life. They didn't let me do anything as a teenager. I couldn't go to prom, I couldn't go out with my school friends on the weekends, I couldn't even have my own car. When I did, as a senior, I had to keep it in storage because they didn't want their insurance to go up until I left home after graduation.  

I wasn't allowed to go to dances. Not even homecoming, and I was the homecoming queen! They limited who I hung out with outside of school, but never once did they tell me not to be nice and friendly with those in my small town school even if I couldn't hang out with them afterwards. 

I wasn't allowed to drive around. Growing up in a small town (pop. 800), there wasn't a whole lot else to do after classes got out for the day, unless one was in sports. I was a klutz, at least back then, so I just went home.

My life was ruined. I spent most of my time with my other seven siblings. I went to youth group every Wednesday night. I learned photography. I played my violin. I read books. Lots of books. I got to spent time with my friends.

I missed out on all those wild parties I'd hear about on Monday morning. I missed out on getting all that's involved in getting a DUI, losing my virginity, immersing myself in illegal drugs and struggling to live a decent life now. My parents protected me from much unnecessary hardship. They were my parent first, not my friend. Man, they really ruined my life.

After I graduated high school, I moved to Illinois and lived with my Grandma to cut living costs. I had a full time job, I took college classes, traveled the world, made wise choices in who I allowed to become my friends. Slowly, I lost touch with most of my friends from high school. Now, thanks to Facebook, I'm able to keep in touch with plenty of them. That and the fact that I'm back living in my high school town/area. 

There's is friend I've kept through all those years that has grown closer and closer as I age. Because I wasn't allowed to run wild after school, she and I grew in our relationship. Thanks to my parents, who ruined my life, my closest friend is my sister. (Don't cry, Beans. :))

In fact, all the people closest to me are my family. It's not an artificial close. It's real. We had each other as friends, roommates, an entire touch football game or baseball. 

So, thanks a lot Mom and Dad, for destroying my life and teaching me values, respect for authority, how to make wise choices (please disregard the "few" that weren't :)), how to lead a family in Biblical character and values, the importance of putting Christ first and trusting Him (especially when things aren't going so great).

Now I know how to ruin the lives of my children. I only hope that someday they will see the great benefits as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment