Friday, December 9, 2011

The past few years the winter months have been extremely hard for me. As much as I have to be thankful for, the sun coming up so late makes it so hard to get up early. The sun going down so early makes the days seem so dark. Being in the house with a toddler, day in and day out makes it easy to feel depressed and irritated. Especially when I have to deal with the constant discipline, whining and mess. 

I recently was looking on Medeba's website (www.medeba.com), a camp where I spent 10 months participating in the Leadership Development Program, now renamed Prosago. I was looking through the photo gallery and homesickness kicked in. Homesickness for my former life of excitement and adventure. Being able to leave when I chose, to pack up and go hiking. Being able to only have to think about myself. 

Marty watched Jacob for a morning the end of October and I was able to spend it hiking at one of my favorite places in South Dakota. This was the first time I'd been hiking in two years! It was a glorious morning of crisp air on my lungs, the rush of the wind through the Black Hills spruce. 

Quiet. 

Absolute quiet. 

The only sound was my breathing as I climbed the mountains. I am so grateful to my husband for allowing me the chance to participate in one of my deep passions, however, it makes me want more...

Whoever thinks that being a stay at-home-mom is easy I must tell you, you are highly misinformed. With this tremendous privilege comes great sacrifice. Sacrifice of thinking only of myself. Sacrifice of spending my money on whatever I wanted. Sacrifice of sleep. Sacrifice of alone time (I cherish nap time now!). 

I am so grateful that I've had the experiences that I have. Some days it's so easy to want them back instead of being thankful for where God has placed me now. "Wherever you are, be there."

I am taking steps to insure that the winter isn't a big depression: meeting with friends once a week to workout in our living rooms while our kids play; baking food and giving it away to mom's who have their hands more full than I do; writing a blog. I want to be proactive, not becoming lazy and whiny. Especially to my husband as soon as he comes in the door after a hard day's work out in the cold. 

There are benefits to the cold winter months. It's a great time to relax inside with a hot cup of tea without the pressure of tending to my garden, lawn or helping my husband hay. Being close to home is a blessing. However, it can be difficult for these itching feet to stay put.
So, if you would like to come on an adventure that may be beyond what you're used to, how about a trip to a cattle ranch in South Dakota this winter? I will not only feed you gourmet cuisine, but you can also learn about beef production, the simplicity of living away from an urbanized local, the bright crisp sky at night, the warmth of the fire within. And in the meantime, you'll be doing me a favor. You'll be helping me to pass the winter months with something new to look forward to. :)

The tea pot is always on the stove, the freezer is full of quality home raised beef, a comfortable bed is waiting. 

So, when does your flight come in? I'll be there to pick you up!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! It's exactly how I have been feeling and boy oh boy have I been having a tough time of it lately. I'll be praying for you, my friend, and you pray for me about this okay? Oh, and as much as I would love to come and sit and visit with a cup of tea now is the not the season for me. I love you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll just have to have fresh brewed sun tea in the summer then! :)

    ReplyDelete