Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thankfulness beyond Thanksgiving

It is December 7th and here I am still talking about Thanksgiving. I have my Christmas tree up and the outside decorated with lights and I just realized that I still have pumpkins gracing the front door. Who said pumpkins couldn't be part of Christmas decorations? :) It is still technically fall anyway! 

The Lord has been teaching me so much lately. It's so easy to get caught up in the bitterness and pessimism of life. My husband has continually been teaching me the art of thankfulness. He always thanks me for the dinner I make, cleaning the house, washing his clothes and other things I won't mention... :) Hehe. (Don't shoot me, I'm married after all!)

I have been practicing a little morning tradition that has transformed my attitude immensely! When I wake up, I begin my day with Thanksgiving to God for it. No matter the weather, He's created it. No matter how horrible my back feels, I can still move. No matter how tired I am, I was just able to sleep in a bed and not the floor. 

I have in my mind an idea of what I want my house to look like and how I can't wait to get rid of all the lovely wood paneling we have, but lately I have been so grateful for my house, wood paneling and all! God has so richly blessed me. He has given me more abundance than I ever even asked for! Soap to wash my dishes, hot running water to take a shower, a closet of clothes, a car to drive that is fully paid for, a computer that only has 37 GB but only cost me $150 two years ago. 

And then I think of the people in my life. (Please do not think I place materialism before people, it was just what I thought of first in the area of God's provision. :)) I can't tell you enough about the incredible man that God has blessed me with as a husband. How we even came to become friends and then a courting couple and then married sometimes seems like such a blur. I knew from the very beginning it was orchestrated by the Lord. I don't want to get too long winded about this wonderful man, but I will just say that I am constantly blown away by God's goodness in who He's blessed me to be married to. 

Each of those that I am close to, the Lord has brought at such a perfect time in my life to sharpen me, love me and chastise me. Not all am I able to see, speak or spend time with as often as I would like. But even if it's been years since we've seen each other or spoken the time is never awkward as we have the commonality of Jesus Christ. I can't always express my thankfulness for you, so view this as such. Since this is a public blog, I don't really want to name names but I'm quite certain you know who you are. Even those whom I haven't kept in close contact with other than occasional views of Facebook posts. If you've ever been involved in my life in more than just a casual acquaintance, you've touched me deeply. Thank you for your investment in me. 

Oh, how He has richly blessed us. Especially as we remember this time of year how He "emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Phil 2:7-11)

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment