Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Update - My Lent Experience

I just realized how long it's been since I've posted something and I've been meaning to let you in on an update of my "Lent" experience. 

I can't say that giving up dessert has been the most "spiritual awakening" experience I've ever had, but it has shown me several things.

The most important one is:
  • Chocolate is not a necessity. 
    No matter how crabby or how stressed or how frustrated I am, chocolate is not going 
    to fix whatever problem I have.  
The issue is not in the pit of my stomach, but in the pit of my heart.
    I do agree that sometimes being hungry can influence moods, but I am the one who   
    ultimately controls them. 

A few other lesson are:
  • Dessert is not a necessity for every meal.  
     Rarely do I usually make it, but have realized that I over indulge when I do have it. A  
    small piece, one cookie a day would be more than sufficient. 

  • I feel so much better without an excessive amount of sugar. 
     I don't believe that sugar is "bad" and "of the devil" as I get so tired of hearing some  
    people say. Everything in moderation, right? If all I ate was kale, I would probably turn 
    green. I need nutrients from many things that God has created, including sugar. It adds  
    excess to my body if I eat too much, so therefore I will enjoy a small portion. It might  
   do different things, or nothing at all to your body, so you might not need to control it 
   as much. Your body might have issues with brussel sprouts or something... :)

Going through this experience I have discovered that I do have great self control over what I eat. I have also discovered that my attitude is not linked to food, but to the darkness in the pit of my heart. These things are slowly changing. 

Please pray for me. Some days I feel as though there is a huge battle raging within my soul to give in to fleshly anger over menial things. I have been learning (some days much harder than others) to rest in the Lord and not try to go about in my strength alone.

I'm not sure if this all makes sense and tied together like I'd hoped, but I hope that you have been encouraged by it as you go along your journey. 


     




 

No comments:

Post a Comment