Monday, February 27, 2012

The Day My Dryer Stopped Working

I love schedule and routine. I feel comforted with the knowledge of what I have accomplished during my morning work. I like structure. I think children do well on structure. J seems to function better when our days are the norm instead of mass chaos.

I am not opposed to change in my schedule. I just general prefer to know about it before it happens. When an event or thing changes the course of my schedule, I don't always respond to it with grace and a pleasant attitude. Give me a few minutes and I will most likely bounce back. I would like to come to a point where I can take things as they come and just not worry about it. 

That being said, Mondays are my day to clean the house and do laundry. I like this schedule. I like coming out of the weekend with having a house sparkling the next day and all the clothes washed and put away...on the same day. 

Most Mondays I'm able to do this. There has been the exception where I've had to switch it to Tuesday or Wednesday and it's usually not a problem. However, when I'm well into the Monday routine and the dryer stops working, my first reaction isn't one of pleasant joy. 

Grrrrr......

I'm not a pioneer woman, even though I live on the prairie. I like my modern conveniences like a dryer, indoor plumbing, hot showers and a food processor. During the summer I hang most of our clothes and sheets outside. The smell of sun-dried sheets is wonderful! Normally I would just toss up my shoulders and think, "Ah, well." 

However, it's February. The current temp is 23. My towels were in the dryer when it quit and they'd hardly had any time to dry. 

I hate crusty, stiff towels. I like coming out of the shower to the touch of soft fluffiness. 

I do have a drying rack, but it won't fit all of our towels. Marty and I like using the bath sheets and those are pretty big. I will save the drying rack for the unmentionables which are currently in the washing machine.
 
So, I'm going to hang out the towels on the line and suffer with a scratchy towel next time I shower. I will venture out into the world of pioneerism with grace and excitement and hope that by next Monday, my dryer will be fixed.  

Hanging up wet laundry in 23 degree temps comes with a price....freezing fingers (even with gloves on).

No comments:

Post a Comment