Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent-My Reformed Version

I did not grow up observing Lent. Nor have I ever attended a church where the practice was required/suggested, etc. Scripture does not teach that Lent is required for one's salvation or the "be right with God." I do think, however, that it can be a good spiritual discipline. 

Over the past several years I have observed Lent on my own, in somewhat of a "reformed" (not to be confused with the Reformed church) version. I do not practice Lent as penitence for my sins, as Christ has already fully fulfilled that dept on the cross. Part of the traditional form of Lent is self-denial, or fasting. This is what I desire to practice.

When I observe Lent, or my six and a half week fast, I look at it as more of a spiritual discipline. Something to draw me closer and rely more fully on God. Using something that I know has become a hindrance between me and my relationship with Jesus to abstain from and grow in my dependance upon my Savior, who has redeemed my wretched soul from the pit of hell.

In years past I had an "ugly book" that I carried with me during Lent. I would write down ever horrible word I would say about someone else, or when I focused too much on myself. It was indeed an ugly book.

This year, however, I'm fasting from dessert. 
How does this hinder my relationship with Jesus?
Well, I will start by saying: "I love food!" Especially when it's of fine quality and is dessert. Not the cheap little snaky things one can just buy in the store, but homemade cakes, cookies, pies, sweet, smooth succulent chocolates, etc, etc. I love to cook and although I don't make sweets all that often, I've found that when I do I hoard and over indulge in them. They become my great joy and passion. I think too much about them and spend too much time with them. 


There is much debate and research done today about food. I have my own opinions, but will save that for another blog post-maybe. Seems as if much of the debate is about meat, sugar, and fast ("fatty") foods. I have my own opinions on these things as well. And like any other obsession, getting too worked up and critical of how other people eat or forcing them to eat a certain way (except if you are a parent-your children should eat what you give them), doesn't profit anyone. Least of all the person hyperventilating over their neighbor eating what they would deem as "evil foods." 


I am not here to tell you that I think sugar and desserts are evil and everyone who eats them is committing a great sin and should fast from them, too. This is not why I am fasting from dessert, or why I am posting about it. 


Simply to inform you of this spiritual discipline that I think is very beneficial, in whatever kind of fast you may choose (expect that, of course, which would cause one to sin against the Lord or his fellow man). 

Not only do I think this has become a hindrance in my relationship with Jesus, but my health as well. I have 10 pounds I would still like to lose from having J two years ago, and I'm training for a half marathon in June. I believe that I can benefit from the healthy reasons for this decision.
 
Partaking in a legalistic discipline wouldn't be beneficial if it wasn't going to draw me closer to the Lord. Thus using Lent as a spiritual discipline instead.

When I crave dessert, I have begun to pray and spend more time with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment