Monday, February 6, 2012

Going on 30...

The passing of time is about over. The years are soon to have stopped. Youth has just about ended. 
I am turning 30. 

I never thought that turning 30 would be that big of a deal, but I have to admit I don't really want to. I'm a little scared. I'm getting old. Soon I will need to use a cane and wear Depends! My bones will creek and my hair will turn gray (oh, wait, that's already happening...). I will need to bring a sweater with me when it's above 75 degrees. I will be starting to ask people to turn down their music (oh, I think I already do that...). My husbands age won't seem so far away now. I will be that much closer to ordering off the Senior menu. Suppose Kohl's will start offering me their Senior discount as well?

To those of you who've already passed this milestone and are looking at me as if I'm a young pup, hold on a minute. I've not been here before. Now that you're in your golden years, doesn't change make you a little nervous and skeptical? I'm just starting out. Allow me the moment. 
I've thought a while about what I want to do to say "good bye" to my 20's. I've always wanted a tattoo and have even come up with my own design that I think it quiet unique and very significant to my faith in Jesus Christ. However, tattoos sag and what if I don't like it when I'm 40?

I've also thought about getting a little diamond stud in my nose. My husband promptly squashed that idea. 

So, what's left for me to transform my outward appearance to commemorate the first 29 years of my life? Plastic surgery is too expensive and I don't want strange things in my body. A new car would be fantastic, but I have expensive taste and there again goes the issue of funds. 

All I could think of was my hair. I had a new cut back in December and it was time for a trim. I like this cut, so that was staying. How about the color? I thought completely changing the color would be a little too much for me and my trusty hairdresser suggested highlights. 

For those who do this on a regular basis please note that I have never dyed my hair in any way before. 1) I like my color, 2) I didn't want to spend the money (I get my thriftiness from my father), 3) it's too "girly" for me. 

Well, in the spirit of turning 30 I decided to try it.  
(Please do not laugh at my attempts at self portraiture. Just because I'm a photographer doesn't mean I'm fantastic at holding the camera in front of my face and shooting at who knows what! :))

Before:

After:




I realize this may not look as dramatic as I would make it seem, but trust me, the red highlights are much brighter in person. I have some natural red in my hair and my hairdresser said that may be why it's a little brighter. 
I think I like it. Definitely something to get used to. I do believe Marty prefers this over the nose ring! 

So, good bye to my 20's. We only have a few days left together.

As a "Hello, 30!" I'm training to run a half marathon this June! Would you like to join me? :)


1 comment:

  1. Your hair is a gorgeous color. Yah, I'll join your half marathon run...I'll wave when you go past my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete